European Week For Waste Reduction 21st to 29th November
The European Week For Waste Reduction (EWWR) is a project supported by the European Commission and normally takes place in November each year. The EPA National Waste Prevention Programme (NWPP) is the national coordinator for EWWR in Ireland. All national waste prevention partners are invited to participate each year.
The European Week for Waste Reduction is an initiative aiming to promote the implementation of awareness-raising actions about sustainable resource and waste management during a single week. It encourages a wide range of audiences (public authorities, private companies, Tidy Towns groups, civil society as well as citizens themselves) to get involved.
European Week For Waste Reduction Objectives
- to raise awareness about waste reduction, product reuse and material recycling strategies, and related European Union and Member States policies,
- to highlight the work accomplished by EWWR participants,
- to mobilise and encourage European citizens to concentrate on four key action themes,
- to reinforce EWWR stakeholders’ capacities by providing them with targeted communication tools and training,
- to assess the impact of communication actions on concrete behaviour change regarding consumption and waste management patterns.
The actions implemented in the European Week For Waste Reduction are addressing the “3 Rs”: Reduce waste, Reuse products, Recycle material. The “3 Rs” represent the options which should be considered first when elaborating a waste management strategy. Following the hierarchy illustrated above, reducing waste should always be the first priority. Reduce means using fewer resources in the first place and includes strict avoidance as well as reduction at source. The second-best option is to reuse products. This includes also preparation for reuse. Third priority and the last waste management option that is included in the EWWR is materials recycling.
View our guide on Ways to save energy in the home, and our guide on Ways to save water in the home.
For more information visit the European Week For Waste Reduction website.
- Free Electrical Collection Swinford 1st April 2023 - March 19, 2023
- Swinford Cruisers Donation - February 8, 2023
- 2022 National Tidy Towns Results - October 28, 2022